Home ii Forums Behavior Issues Dad is becoming combative

Tagged: 

• Dad is becoming combative

Posted by mmccoyfcchealthplan-com on April 17, 2020 at 11:51 am

When dealing with a combative person, you should use eye contact, a gentle smile, or reassuring touch to help convey your message and show your compassion.

How do you deal with combative behaviors?

Unknown Member replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • mmccoyfcchealthplan-com

April 17, 2020 at 11:52 am

Try to regress the situation.

• John

April 22, 2020 at 11:28 am

Great points. Here are a few points to consider when a person is combative:
    I would not touch anyone without permission especially when they are upset- it is actually better NOT to touch them if they are combative and I would keep 6 feet away until I believe it is safe to come near them- The old adage that if an older person struck you it is the well person’s fault (unless you have to change their diaper or giving them a bath but even then you need to back off)

I think it is better to inquiry rather than talk and when it is time to talk, sincerity is the most important component- genuine concern for their plight

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    April 19, 2022 at 10:03 am

Coping with challenging behaviors can be very difficult for care partners and family members. Exploring and identifying possible reasons or triggers for these behaviors is the first step in reducing or eliminating the triggers and thus, the subsequent behavior. Remember to give dad some space if needed, ensuring they are safe and others are protected, remain relaxed, speak in a calm, soft tone. Acknowledge dad with phrases such as, “I’m sorry you’re upset” or “I know you are upset. Can I help?”.